News

Friday April 26, 2013

GE13: Violence is not our politics

WHY NOT?
By WONG SAI WAN


The general election must be allowed to go on without such violent acts if democracy is to continue to be our way of life.

EXPLOSIVES, Molotov cocktails, gang fights, and even cyber bullying have been hogging the attention of the public midway through what is supposed to be the most important general election in our country’s history.

Instead of important issues like what each side has to offer, or what changes they want to make, we are instead hearing of acts of violence normally unheard of in our 12 other elections.

There was trouble when the Communist Party of Malaya tried to disrupt the first federal election back in 1955 and killed anyone who tried to take part in the polls then, or after the contentious 1969 general election that eventually led to the May 13 incident.

Those days, tensions were high and the country was still in its infancy as all of us were then still trying to feel Malaysian.

Yes, in every election there had been some incidents but these were mostly due to a wrong word said in anger, but nothing premeditated, definitely not like what has happened in the past four days.

First there was the explosion in Nibong Tebal near a Barisan Nasional campaign centre. One person was slightly injured. The police found a second device nearby the next day but most people dismissed this as an isolated incident and even laughed off the devices as nothing more than firecrackers.

It was not firecrackers; it was an IED or improvised explosive device.

However, the police have described the IED as one made by experts because it was made to create fear rather than injure. It takes real experts to do this right to make sure it gives out a loud noise with minimal damage.

Some critics even blamed the Barisan for “planting the device” in its own turf to create fear among the voters and to shift the blame to the opposition. However, to be fair, the Pakatan Rakyat was quick to come out and condemn the attack and to urge the authorities to act swiftly.

There were several incidents all over the country, especially in hotly contested seats, on Wednesday night.

An angry resident at Kampung Timah in Kampar threw fire­crackers at the Barisan Malim Nawar state seat candidate Chang Gwo Chyang who was making his rounds.

In Sungei Gelugor, Penang, a photographer from a Chinese newspaper was punched by a man who tried to disrupt a DAP ceramah.

Petrol bombs or Molotov cocktails have also been used twice – once in Sekinchan in Selangor on Wednesday and the other in Buntong in Ipoh. Both attacks were against Barisan operations centres and carried out at about 5am.

There have also been several fisticuffs in this first week, with one incident resulting in an RTM employee dying of a heart attack. Then there was a gang fight in Dungun where several people were injured in what was seen as a fight between PAS and Barisan supporters.

Such violent acts are alien to Malaysia. Yes, we have seen it happening frequently in our neighbouring countries like Thailand and Indonesia. In fact, when compared to these two countries what has happened so far is nothing.

But that’s just the point, it will start small and sooner rather than later, it will escalate into a huge monster running out of control. This has to be stopped at the source.

Election Commission deputy chairman Datuk Wan Ahmad Wan Omar got it right when he said the political leaders must keep their supporters under control because during ceramah, speeches tend to be fiery and emotions would be stoked.

After 56 years as a nation, one would have thought that we have learnt our lessons and learnt to live together. As we seek more democratic freedoms, we must be prepared to give and take without resorting to the antics of gangsters.

Cyber bullying of candidates, celebrities, journalists and leaders have already become common.

The cyber attacks against international star Datuk Seri Michelle Yeoh for appearing at a dinner in support of Barisan are well documented. Is she not entitled to show who she supports?

I hope the likes of Aishah and Dayangku Intan, who are contesting under the PAS ticket, have been spared from such cyber bullying.

Is violence and cyber bullying the kind of democratic changes that we are all trying to promote?

Are those calling for change in their fiery speeches willing to take responsibility for such violence?

This is a general election where the call for change must be through the ballot box and not through bombs and fist fights.

I accept that it is a valid election tactic to stoke the emotions of the people so that they will side with you but those doing the instigation must also know when to pull their punches so that things do not go overboard.

Already the people are edgy and shops are reporting brisk sale of sundry goods. It will not be too wrong to say many are stocking up, in case things turn bad. There is nothing wrong in being prepared for all eventualities.

However, all politicians, especially those well known for their oratory capabilities, owe it to the country to make sure that in their politicking, they also condemn such acts of violence which are not the Malaysian way.

The GE13 is no Arab Spring but a legitimate act of exercising one’s democratic right where there is no place for any form of violence.

Executive editor Wong Sai Wan will cast his vote on May 5 and urges all Malaysians to do so peacefully.

For more election stories, please visit The Star’s GE13 site

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share