Thursday February 28, 2008
IGP: Probe complete on newsmen attack
KOTA KINABALU: Inspector General Tan Sri Musa Hassan said police had detained the persons involved in an attack on two journalists in Perlis on Wednesday, and released them after investigations had been completed.
He declined to name the party the group belonged to.
He described the assault of the two journalists as "excessive and irresponsible."
Harian Metro journalist Mohd Rashidi Karim, 42, and Berita Harian's Adha Ghazali, 30, were attacked by party supporters when covering an election campaign at the Barisan Nasional operations room in Baseri, Perlis.
“It should not have happened, what is the use of getting angry with the journalists?” he told reporters at the Kepayan state police headquarters here.
Meanwhile, police had issued a total of 2,971 permits to all political parties to conduct ceramah (talks) nationwide since Sunday’s nomination, Musa said.
However, 40 of the 451 permits issued in Sabah were put on hold in view of several factors including the location of such ceramah.
“We did not cancel the permits but it was put on hold because traffic congestion can happen at some of the locations,” he said when urging political parties to hold their ceramah at suitable locations.
Musa said that police were fair to all parties when issuing permits and would not hesitate to be firm against any party that did not follow the rules.
He also reminded parties not to misuse the permits by holding illegal demonstrations.
Since nomination day, police had received 13 reports involving various minor election offences, he said.
Offences included tearing and burning posters and threats by SMS, he said, adding that investigations were completed and had been handed over to the Attorney General for further action.