Monday May 13, 2013
Iran faces fresh trade heat as more shipping firms exit
LONDON: Foreign container shipping lines are giving up on Iranian business ahead of new US sanctions in July, dealing a further blow to Tehran’s vital seaborne trade.
Iran’s economy is already reeling from the effect of measures imposed by the West to curb Tehran’s nuclear programme. Its currency has lost two-thirds of its value since late 2011, inflation is soaring, and unemployment is rising fast as manufacturing, starved of parts and international finance, contracts.
Many of Iran’s imports, including food and consumer goods, arrive on container, bulker and other ships. Feeder services, which transport ship containers to Iran, especially from larger ports in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), are also used.
The US National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA), which comes into effect on July 1, blacklists Iran’s shipping, shipbuilding, energy and ports management sectors. While it has an explicit exemption for food, medicine and other humanitarian goods, foreign shipping firms are pulling out to avoid falling foul of its provisions.
“Iran will become increasingly dependent on feeder services from nearby Gulf states for the import of its goods, as major container shipping companies become ever more wary of transgressing against the numerous sanctions,” said Daniel Richards of Business Monitor International.
Kuwait-headquartered United Arab Shipping Co (UASC), which is among the world’s biggest 20 container lines, said last month it had suspended all services to and from Iran.
”We now find ourselves in the peculiar situation where even if we are carrying non-sanctioned cargo to non-sanctioned entities, the cargo would eventually have to be handled by a party which the US government considers as providing financial support to a sanctioned party,” it said.
In a company memo seen by Reuters, UASC added: “With the passing of the NDAA ... the difficulties in shipping cargo to and from Iran have only increased.”
Mark Dubowitz, who has advised President Barack Obama’s administration and US lawmakers on sanctions, said container lines transporting humanitarian goods would not face measures.
“You may be seeing a short period of adjustment, as these companies seek clarity on the new rules, but this trade should face minimal disruption,” he said. “The container lines can operate easily under the broad humanitarian exemptions available in every sanctions law.”
Nevertheless, companies are uncomfortable. Dubai-based Simatech Shipping said this month it would cut services to and from Iran from June because of the new sanctions.
A spokesman with Hong Kong-headquartered Orient Overseas Container Line said its feeder service to Iran from the UAE would cease from June after ending direct business from Asia two years ago. A source at Hong Kong’s Wah Hai Lines said it would no longer send its vessels to Iran.
APL, the container unit of Singapore’s Neptune Orient Lines, said it would ensure “all applicable regulations governing shipments to Iran are adhered to”.
Iran’s cargo trade has already faced earlier ruptures after the United States in 2011 blacklisted major Iranian port operator Tidewater Middle East Co, which operates seven terminals in the country, including the biggest container port Bandar Abbas.
Tougher conditions led to AP Moller-Maersk’s Maersk Line, the world’s biggest container company, pulling out entirely from Iran last year, joining an exodus including the world’s number two and three MSC and CMA CGM and smaller groups like Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd. — Reuters
- Sharil is appointed chairman of MCMC
- Proton offers lifetime warranty on power windows
- Tax payers to feel pinch as Govt increases compliance enforcement
- Urgent need for Govt to help hard-pressed palm oil players
- MAS aerospace engineering’s India JV ready to take off
- Developer Mah Sing targets RM2.5bil sales next year
- OCBC Capital Malaysia to buy five PacificMas units for RM450mil
- Groups voice concern over retirement age proposal
- Wal-Mart setback as China CEO resigns
- Public Bank beats estimates Q3 net profit 15% higher to RM899mil
- Tax payers to feel pinch as Govt increases compliance enforcement
- Sharil is appointed chairman of MCMC
- Developer Mah Sing targets RM2.5bil sales next year
- Groups voice concern over retirement age proposal
- Proton offers lifetime warranty on power windows
- Public Bank beats estimates Q3 net profit 15% higher to RM899mil
- Proton looks to commercialise electric vehicles in 2013
- MAS aerospace engineering’s India JV ready to take off
- ExxonMobil signs RM236mil deal with Malaysia Marine
- Labuan IBFC attracting captive insurance business
