Thursday May 29, 2008
Bandar Mahkota Cheras residents urge Federal Govt to intervene
By YIP YOKE TENG and FAZLEENA AZIZ
RESIDENTS of Bandar Mahkota Cheras are calling on the Federal Government to intervene to end the access road crisis that has been brewing in their housing estate over the last three months.
“This case has gone national and we have brought it up in parliament three times. Blood has already been shed, what if someone dies because of this?,” questioned resident Eric Lee.
The township hit the news once again on Tuesday when residents clashed with workers hired to re-build a concrete barrier across the access road.
Federal Reserve Unit personnel called in to quell the fracas left the scene at 2am yesterday.
About 200 residents returned to the site to remove the barricade’s concrete blocks. They deliberately placed two blocks in the middle of the road to obstruct traffic from Bandar Tun Hussein Onn heading to Kajang, in order to “let everywhere be congested”. Starting at 8am yesterday, residents took turns to guard the area.
At about 1.30pm, they tried in small groups to remove the barricade and even collected money to hire trucks to do the job. Some RM800 were collected instantly but no truck was seen arriving at the scene.
At 3.30pm, the group tried to remove the blocks again with carjacks. Police helicopters were seen patrolling the area for about five minutes.
At 4pm, they successfully brought down three blocks and continued on.
Bandar Mahkota Cheras Open Access Road Committee chairman Tan Boon Wah said as of 11.30pm on Tuesday, 12 injured residents sought treatment at the Kajang Hospital while five others lodged police reports.
He said he was informed that a woman was beaten by a group of eight men, adding that she was in intensive care unit and could not be contacted.
He believed 45% of the people who turned up at the fracas were not Bandar Mahkota Cheras residents, who had been told to leave the matter to the state government, but were nearby residents who championed the same cause.
He urged victims of the fracas to lodge police reports.
“Disappointed, disappointed, very disappointed, that’s all we can say about the whole situation,” he said.
Meanwhile, Grand Saga Sdn Bhd’s business development and corporate affairs executive director Zainal Abidin Ali issued a statement disassociating the company from the altercation between the parties involved.
“Grand Saga wishes to inform that it has also received a report from its contractor that several of its workmen were injured while carrying out their duties. A police report has been lodged.
“Grand Saga was given to understand that the incident was instigated by certain parties. It will be filing a police report and hopes that the police will carry out an investigation immediately,” it read, while extending sympathy to persons who sustained injuries.
In Parliament yesterday, Loong Meng Yee reported Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng denying he had ‘abandoned’ Bandar Mahkota Cheras.
“I was at Parliament on Tuesday and also needed to attend some other pre-arranged functions. The matter should be left to the court as there are three legal actions pending,” said Lim at the Parliament lobby yesterday.
He also stayed away because he had been informed on Tuesday afternoon that there would be “thugs” present that evening.
“I did not want to face thugs although I am willing to face the authorities,” said Lim.
He added that he had warned DAP members in the area and the residents not to take matters into their own hand over Grand Saga’s action to rebuild the barricade.
“The committee also gave their word they would not remove the barricade after it was erected,” said Lim.