Friday July 6, 2012
Traders urged to move into licensed outlets
By PRIYA MENON
THE Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) has urged errant traders selling food along Jalan Cecawi 6/18 in Kota Damansara to move to proper and licensed food outlets provided by the council instead of defying the authorities.
MBPJ’s public relations officer Zainon Zakaria said the council had issued numerous compounds to the seven traders who had been encroaching onto the sidewalk for over a year now.
“The place is definitely not conducive for food stalls, especially since there is no clean water supply. It is not hygienic and that is why we have not issued licences to these traders,” she added.
Zainon said the traders, however, have refused to move out despite MBPJ’s advice as they were comfortable at the site.
She said there were many MBPJ stalls in the Kota Damansara and Petaling Jaya area that the seven operators could move to.
She advised them to visit the MBPJ headquarters to submit their applications.
Zainon said this in response to a report in StarMetro titled “Lack of action by MBPJ” which appeared on July 4.
In the report, residents in Section 6, Kota Damansara were irked over MBPJ’s lackadaisical attitude concerning complaints of illegal extensions.
They said their complaints were ignored for over a year.
To make matters worse, the complainants had also received calls from the traders questioning them over the complaints made.
Many of the residents are questioning MBPJ over the leaked information.
In response to this, Zainon said they were unaware of the issue but would investigate, adding that all complaints made were confidential.