Tuesday August 21, 2012
Raya celebration turns bleak for family
BUTTERWORTH: A Hari Raya Aidil Fitri celebration for a family of nine turned gloomy when their house in Kampung Jawa, Prai, was razed in a fire.
In the 9.15pm incident on Sunday, the family members were chitchatting on the ground floor of the kampung house when they heard an explosion.
One of the family members Noor Sapiza Tajuddin, 28, said they thought someone was playing fire crackers in the neighbourhood but were shocked to see smoke coming out from one of the rooms upstairs.
“All of us panicked and ran out to safety. We could not save anything,’’ she said.
She said the fire also destroyed her neighbour’s kitchen and bedroom.
Norsiah Sulaiman, 73, said she was outside her house seeing off one of her children.
“I was shocked to see the fire spreading wildly from the top floor of my neighbour’s house who is also my close relative,’’ she said.
She immediately alerted all her family members to run out to safety.
Prai Fire Station chief Aazelan Hassan said three fire engines and 18 men were dispatched to the scene after receiving a distress call at 9.25pm.
“We managed to bring the fire under control at 9.31pm and it was put out 30 minutes later,’’ he said.
He said the cause of the fire was being ascertained.