Thursday September 13, 2012
MPS gives owners chance to legalise billboards
By STUART MICHAEL
INSTEAD of bringing down or demolishing billboards, the Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) has decided to give illegal billboard owners another chance.
During an operation to bring down illegal billboards in the area between Kepong and Batu Arang recently, MPS public relations director Mohd Zin Masoad said the council has decided to let business operators to apply for permits for their billboards.
“They will be given a grace period of three weeks to come forward to settle the fine and get the permits.
“This a chance for them to legalise the billboards otherwise we will bring them down,” said Mohd Zin.
He said there are 23 illegal billboards put up in the Selayang constituency, adding that they were mostly located along the North-South Expressway stretching between the Sungai Buloh and Rawang tolls.
He said so far this year, MPS had demolished 18 billboards and that there were 300 billboards throughout Selayang.
“Of this number, 177 billboards have been given permits.
“Another 123 billboards still have no permits but are in the process of applying for it,’’ he said.
Mohd Zin said MPS collected RM1.2mil annually from permits for the billboards.
He said the action on billboards were taken under the provisions in the MPS advertisement by-law 2007 and vandalism by-law 1994.
“The compounds can be up to RM1,000. If charged in court, the culprit can be fined up to RM2,000 or face one year’s imprisonment or both,” said Mohd Zin.