Thursday June 29, 2006
Assault classified as juvenile case
KUALA LUMPUR: The Kota Tinggi school assault case will be investigated as a juvenile case as the students are under 18, said Deputy Internal Security Minister Datuk Fu Ah Kiow.
He was commenting on the case where at least six students have been identified for beating up their Form One schoolmate.
The students were identified through a four-minute video footage which was posted on the Internet.
Fu added that some principals in Johor had asked police to help monitor the security in their schools.
The incidence of violence in Malaysian schools is still not very serious but there is an urgent need to contain the problem from becoming worse, he said.
In Kota Tinggi, police said they had only detained six students in connection with the incident although seven were expelled from the secondary school.
OCPD Supt Jamaluddin Md Yusoff said all those directly involved in the attack had been picked up.
He said that all six boys, aged between 13 and 15, were subsequently released on police bail.