Monday February 26, 2007
Residents hail increased police patrols
JOHOR BARU: School teacher Abdul Rahman Juwa had a pleasant surprise when he came back from his holiday and found notices from the police in his mailbox.
The notices informed him about the police’s visit to his home in Taman Perling under the Safe Home Campaign.
“I usually do not spend my holidays peacefully as I would be thinking about my house as there have been break-ins in my neighbourhood before,” Abdul Rahman, 54, said.
He commended the police and The Star for jointly organising the campaign which allows busy people to register via fax or telephone instead of going to the police station.
Tan Wern Chiat, 28, from Tampoi, said that he was grateful to the police for increasing their patrols in the neighbourhood.
“Even though there have been many robbery cases before, I think the increased police presence is a good deterrent,” he said when met at his home.
Tan, a business development manager, wished that the campaign would be extended all-year-round.
Md Nawi Wan Hassan, 57, praised the police for checking on his house in Tampoi even though there were people at home.
“They came to my house and rang the bell and asked me to identify myself,” he said, adding that the policemen were friendly and enquired about the neighbourhood.
His next-door neighbour, Tee Poh Suan, 45, said that even though she did not receive any notices from the police, the fact that she had already registered her home was more than enough to assure her that her home was safe.
The state-wide campaign was held between Feb 13 and 25 and was organised by the police in collaboration with The Star.
A similar campaign was conducted during the Hari Raya and Deepavali celebrations between Oct 14 to 31 last year and not a single house among the 1,259 which were registered was broken into.