Sunday June 29, 2008
Anwar denies sodomy claims
By LOURDES CHARLES, STEVEN DANIEL and WANI MUTHIAH
SHAH ALAM: Parti Keadilan Rakyat de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was left fighting for his political credibility, calling a press conference at 1.20am today to deny allegations that he sodomised his aide.
He described the allegations made by his aide in a police report lodged yesterday as a “total fabrication”.
Anwar's statement was read out by PKR vice-president Sivarasa Rasiah at the press conference at a hotel in Shah Alam.
The statement, which was also faxed to media offices, said: “The police report lodged against me today is a complete fabrication. I believe we are witnessing a repeat of the methods used against me in 1998 when false allegations were made under duress.”
Asked why Anwar was not at the press conference, Sivarasa said Anwar was very busy attending to “too many telephone calls.”
Earlier, a man claiming to be an aide of Anwar lodged a police report alleging sodomy by the PKR leader.
It is learnt that the man, in his 20s, lodged the report at a police beat base here at 5.45pm.
He is being treated at a hospital in Kuala Lumpur.
Sources said the man alleged that he was sexually assaulted last Thursday inside a luxury apartment in the city.
He also alleged that it was not the first time that Anwar had sexually assaulted him.
Sivarasa said the aide started working for PKR three months ago to help out in the general election.
City CID chief Senior Asst Comm II Ku Chin Wah confirmed that a report had been lodged but declined to give details.
Sources said police were waiting for the medical report from the hospital before proceeding with investigations.
They also said Anwar was expected to be called up by the police to have his statement recorded.