Monday April 12, 2010
Open and transparent approach to H1N1
By MARTIN CARVALHO
MALACCA: The Health Ministry will continue its open and transparent approach with regards to Influenza A (H1N1).
Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said health authorities would not hide anything from the public.
“We have always been open in handling the problem,” he said while urging the public not to believe claims that the country was experiencing a second wave of H1N1.
Such a claim, said Liow, could cause confusion among the public.
“There is no second wave. If there is, we would have said so,” he told reporters here after the launch of the national level World Health Day celebrations yesterday.
Although the current level of infections were much lower than last year, he said health authorities would keep a close eye on the situation.
At present, only 1.14% of those seeking out-patient treatment at government hospitals and clinics tested positive for H1N1 compared to more than 10% last year, which was considered pandemic level, he said.
On the present figures, he said 23 new cases of influenza like illness (ILI) were recorded as of yesterday with a total of 651 people warded.
Of that, 85 tested positive for H1N1 with six patients warded in the intensive care unit of various hospitals, he said.
He urged those in the high-risk category to get free H1N1 vaccine available at 114 government hospitals and clinics nationwide.