Published: Friday October 19, 2012 MYT 12:35:00 PM
Updated: Friday October 19, 2012 MYT 7:17:38 PM
Owner of bungalow whose extension collapsed and killed 2 workers had no renovation permit
By TEH ENG HOCK
SHAH ALAM: The owner of a bungalow, whose extension collapsed and killed two workers and injured four others, had no renovation permit
Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) mayor Datuk Mohd Jaafar Mohd Atan said no application for approval was received from the owner to build the extension.
"The extension that collapsed was not part of the original structure. So far, no plan has been submitted to MBSA as of today," Mohd Jaafar told reporters after visiting the site of the accident on Friday.
He said it is an offence under Section 70(1) of the Road, Drainage and Building Act 1974, which reads: "No person shall erect any building without the prior written permission of the local authority."
Asked about the cause of the collapse, Mohd Jaafar said they would need to compile reports from various authorities, including the police, Fire and Rescue Department, Department of Safey and Health, and Construction Industry Development Board, before coming to a conclusion.
The bungalow in Section 7, Shah Alam, is one of 26 in a project jointly developed by Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) and Sejagat Emas Sdn Bhd, and had the necessary planning approvals, he said.
Mohd Jaafar said upon completion, some owners decided to renovate or extend their new homes.
"Four of the bungalows are currently being renovated by their owners, with only two having the approval to renovate.
"This bungalow and its neighbour have no application for approval from us," he said, adding that both units have been sealed by MBSA.
In the incident at 4.20pm on Thursday, a concrete slab from the bungalow collapsed, killing two and injuring four Indonesian construction workers.
One was found dead on site when his body was extracted from the rubble at 6.20pm, while another, who had his leg severed, died at the hospital around 9pm.
The four injured are warded at the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital and Sungai Buloh Hospital.
Ten other workers on site escaped unhurt.