Saturday October 20, 2012
Bungalow owner did not apply to do renovations
By TEH ENG HOCK
SHAH ALAM: The owner of a bungalow where an extension collapsed and resulted in the deaths of two construction workers did not have permission to renovate his home and now risks prosecution.
Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) mayor Datuk Mohd Jaafar Mohd Atan said: “The concrete slab that collapsed was also not part of the original structure.”
So far, no plan had been submitted to MBSA, Mohd Jaafar said after visiting the site of the accident yesterday.
He said it was an offence under Section 70(1) of the Road, Drainage and Building Act 1974, which states that “no person shall erect any building without the prior written permission of the local authority”.
Mohd Jaafar said they would bring the case to court because the owner had not obtained approval for the renovation, which had resulted in the deaths.
Asked about the cause of Thursday's incident, Mohd Jaafar said MBSA needed to compile reports from various authorities, including the Police, Fire and Rescue Department, Safety and Health Department and the Construction Industry Development Board before arriving at a conclusion.
“These had the necessary planning approvals,” Mohd Jaafar said.
He said upon completion, some owners had decided to renovate or extend their new homes.
“Four are currently being renovated, with only two having the approval to do so,” he said.
“This owner (of the house where the slab collapsed) and a neighbour did not apply for approval,” he said, adding that both houses had since been sealed by MBSA.
Mohd Jaafar advised homeowners to follow the necessary guidelines before renovating.
“If you renovate or extend according to our standard plan, you can get an approval within an hour,” he said.
“The guidelines can be bought from MBSA at only RM50.
“The longest it will take is 24 hours, provided all the regulations are met,” he said.
In the incident at 4.20pm, the concrete slab collapsed, killing the two and injuring four Indonesian workers.
The four survivors are being warded at the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah and Sungai Buloh hospitals.
Ten others escaped unhurt.
Collapse victims recall harrowing experience
Bungalow owner: Contractor applied for approval for renovation
Indonesia happy with handling of roof-collapse rescue work, says ambassador
Indonesian worker dies in freak accident