Sunday October 28, 2012
Lebanon arrests two Malaysian suspected suicide bombers
KUALA LUMPUR: The Lebanese authorities have arrested two Malaysians believed to be suicide bombers and suspected to be linked to the al-Qaeda terrorist organisation.
The two, aged 21 and 28, were nabbed at Beirut International Airport.
Malaysian ambassador to Lebanon Ilango Karuppannan confirmed that the duo were picked up several days ago.
“They will be brought to court on Monday (tomorrow) and we will ask them whether they require counsel,” he told Bernama.
On Thursday, Lebanon's Al-Joumhouria newspaper, quoting security sources, said the Malaysians were detained by army intelligence on charges of being al-Qaeda members.
Investigations revealed they were recruited into al-Qaeda by another Malaysian before being taken to Yemen where they met other members of the organisation.
Al-Joumhouria said that about two months ago, the two Malaysians had tried to enter Syria via Turkey on a jihadist mission to carry out suicide attacks.
Their planned attacks were coordinated by a man who was said to be responsible for the entry of all jihadists into Syria.
When the two Malaysians failed to enter Syria, they decided to head to Lebanon to carry out terrorist attacks but their activities caught the eye of the army intelligence.
Meanwhile, YVONNE LIM reports that the families of the suspects had been notified.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said that Wisma Putra was closely monitoring the matter.
“We have been in touch with the authorities in Lebanon and we are also investigating the matter.
“The families of the suspects have been notified.
“We will reveal the details when more information is confirmed,” he said.