Published: Wednesday October 31, 2012 MYT 8:12:00 PM
Updated: Wednesday October 31, 2012 MYT 10:11:34 PM
Government to meet with gold scheme investors soon
By LEE YEN MUN
PUTRAJAYA: Disgruntled gold scheme investors who camped overnight outside the Prime Minister's Office complex here have returned home after being promised a meeting.
A special officer to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak met representatives of the Bestino Investors Action Committee behind closed doors for about half an hour on Wednesday after a group of over 100 people refused to budge from the entrance to the complex.
The meeting will be scheduled “as soon as possible” and will involve representatives from the group, the Finance Ministry, Bank Negara and Bestino Golden House Sdn Bhd managing director Chong Yuk Ming.
“The meeting will explore how the gold bars and the RM24.2mil (confiscated by Bank Negara from Bestino) will be handled,” special officer Ravin Ponniah said when addressing the crowd.
The central bank had raided Bestino's offices in 2009 on suspicion that it was carrying out illegal deposit collection.
Chong and three company directors were charged in the Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur Sessions Courts last year with more than 300 counts of money laundering and receiving deposits without a valid licence.
A total of 6,764 investors, mostly from Ipoh, are believed to have invested some RM411mil in the Bestino scheme.
The desperate investors camped outside the Prime Minister's Office complex on Tuesday.
Adults and children in the group braved the scorching heat and the night rain without shelter at the camp out.
At noon, the crowd began to block the walkway to the complex, forcing police to deploy a five-man light strike force to guard the entrance.
“Our lawyer, Tommy Thomas, will send a letter to Ravin within the week so the meeting can be arranged.
“As for now, we will go home,” the group's spokesman K. Kunasekaran said.