Published: Monday October 8, 2012 MYT 7:20:00 PM
Updated: Monday October 8, 2012 MYT 8:40:47 PM
Cops stopped Bentley car from exiting palace grounds, not the Kelantan prince, court hears
By QISHIN TARIQ
KUALA LUMPUR: Police stopped a Bentley car from leaving the palace grounds, not the Kelantan prince Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Petra, the High Court here heard Monday.
Senior Federal Counsel Azizan Md Arshad asked the prince during cross examination whether he or the car was prohibited from exiting the palace grounds.
"Is it true that the Bentley remained in the compound after you had left? Did the police prevent your person from leaving?" he asked.
Tengku Muhammad Fakhry, 34, said he was allowed to leave after being detained for almost an hour.
The Kelantan prince is suing the police for RM150mil for wrongful confinement after he was stopped from sending a Bentley Brooklands car to his father in Singapore.
When asked if he or his lawyer Datuk Mohd Haaziq Pillay were stopped when they tried to leave earlier, the prince said neither of them had tried to as there were many policemen in the area.
He said the situation made him afraid for his safety, adding he was humiliated by being treated like a criminal.
"The police suddenly stopped me, blocking the road with a car. There were more than 20 officers, many with weapons and they detained me without explaining what I had done," Tengku Muhammad Fakhry told the court Monday.
Counsel for the prince, Avtar Singh played a video recording of the incident by general worker for the prince Lanlan Ruslandi, showing policemen and several patrol cars waiting around the palace gates.
Lanlan said he had recorded the incident with a video camera belonging to Tengku Muhammad Fakhry, adding that he had been ordered to follow the prince on the day.
He told the court that the police did not stop him from entering or exiting the palace grounds while he was filming.
High Court judge Justice Zabariah Mohd Yusof set the trial to continue Tuesday.
In the suit filed on Dec 9 2010, Tengku Muhammad Fakhry named Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar, the then-Kelantan Sultan's chief personal bodyguard Asst Supt Norazman Ismail, Kelantan police chief Datuk Abdul Rahim Hanafi and the police as defendants.
In his statement of claim, the prince said he had been requested by his father, the then-Kelantan Ruler, Sultan Ismail Petra to send a Bentley Brooklands car to Singapore where he was seeking medical treatment.
He said that, as he was driving towards the gate at Istana Mahkota Kubang Kerian, accompanied by his lawyer Mohd Haaziq, he was stopped by the police.
He claimed ASP Norazman had prevented him from leaving the palace based on instructions from Abdul Rahim and the police.
He is seeking RM100mil in general damages, RM50mil in aggravated and exemplary damages, interests, costs and any relief deemed fit by the court.
Kelantan prince files RM150mil wrongful confinement suit against police
Kelantan prince and daily reach settlement over suit
Kelantan prince seeks settlement over "assassination" article
Kelantan prince to testify in trial
Police told to answer to RM150mil suit filed by Kelantan prince
Court instructs police to respond to Kelantan prince's RM150mil suit
Publishers ordered to answer lawsuit by Kelantan prince
Malay Mail to answer suit by Kelantan prince over assassination plot
Kelantan prince sues paper for defamation
Kelantan prince files RM50mil defamation suit against daily
Witness: Palace guard had argument with several bodyguards