Wednesday November 14, 2012
Be on guard, Malaysians in Indonesia warned
PETALING JAYA: Malaysian students in Indonesia have been told to be extra cautious following outrage over the alleged rape of an Indonesian worker here.
The Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta said the estimated 6,000 students in the republic were safe but had been put on alert over possible repercussions by certain groups.
“Currently, they are all safe but we have asked them to be extra vigilant. We have issued alerts to all student unions throughout the country to be careful,” said Education Malaysia director in Indonesia, Assoc Prof Dr Juzhar Jusoh.
It is understood that among the advice given to the students were for them to stay indoors if possible and also not to go out alone.
The embassy, which was closed yesterday due to the Deepavali celebrations, is anticipating mass demonstrations in Jakarta over the next few days following the issue.
Indonesian web portal detiknews reported that about 50 activists from nationalist group Bendera had gathered in Jakarta with placards, while some protesters were seen burning the Malaysian flag.
Several aggressive remarks made on social media such as Twitter have raised concerns over the safety of Malaysians, particularly women, in Indonesia.
Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa was reported in the Jakarta Post yesterday demanding that the Malaysian Government take immediate action over the alleged rape.
“That was a vicious, savage and an unacceptable act. Furthermore, it was done by police officers, who should protect people.
“The Malaysian Government should voice a clear stance regarding this incident,” he was quoted as saying.
Police wrapping up probe into alleged gang-rape