News

Published: Monday April 23, 2012 MYT 11:19:00 AM
Updated: Monday April 23, 2012 MYT 11:21:21 AM

Chan's PKFZ trial moved to May 21

By TERENCE TOH


KUALA LUMPUR: Former Transport Minister Tan Sri Chan Kong Choy's cheating trial over the Port Klang Free Zone (PKFZ) project has been moved to May 21.

Lead counsel Datuk Tan Hock Chuan told High Court judge Justice Zamani Abdul Rahim here Monday that a change of date was necessary for the prosecution to consider a letter of representation they had sent to the Attorney-General's Chambers on March 20.

Deputy public prosecutor Datuk Nordin Hassan confirmed that he had received the letter, and agreed that more time was needed to examine the representation letter as the charges dated back to 2004.

"We will need more time to make a thorough decision which is fairest for all parties involved, including the accused," Nordin said.

Justice Zamani allowed the application for the new trial date on May 21.

On Feb 28 last year, Chan claimed trial to cheating then prime minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi into approving Kuala Dimensi Sdn Bhd (KDSB) as the turnkey developer for the trans-shipment hub project in Pulau Indah Free Zone at a cost of RM1bil.

He faces two more charges of cheating Abdullah by inducing him to approve KDSB for additional development work at PKFZ, including electrical infrastructure work for RM135mil, a RM90mil business class hotel and building concrete trenching for electric cables for RM140mil.

In all three charges, he was alleged to have hidden the fact that the development costs would be financed through bonds by KDSB via Transshipment Megahub Bhd with his support.

Related Stories:
Kong Choy's trial postponed to April 23
PKFZ: Chan claims trial to three amended charges
PKFZ: Chan Kong Choy charged with cheating

  • E-mail this story
  • Print this story
  • Bookmark and Share