Thursday May 17, 2012
Parents of kidnapping suspect deny any knowledge
By LOURDES CHARLES
KUALA LUMPUR: Parents of the alleged mastermind in the kidnapping of 12-year-old Dutch national Nayati Shamelin Moodliar have lodged a police report denying any knowledge of their son's activities.
The parents, in their 50s, went to the city police headquarters in Jalan Hang Tuah here on Tuesday evening and lodged the report after investigations led to their house.
City CID Chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the parents lodged a report when they learnt that the car in their house was allegedly used to release Nayati who was found at the Sungai Buloh rest and recreation area on May 3.
“We also recovered about RM30,000 in the mastermind's house which we believe is part of the ransom money,'' he said.
SAC Ku said police had sought Interpol's help to track the mastermind who is believed to be hiding somewhere in Europe.
Nayati was kidnapped by two men while walking to school at Mont' Kiara on April 27 and was held for six days at a house in Perak.
He was freed after his parents paid a RM300,000 ransom which the kidnappers demanded through a Facebook account.
Seven suspects have been arrested so far.