Monday June 18, 2012
Storeroom and two houses damaged in three fires
GEORGE TOWN: Two days after a major fire in Relau, firefighters were called on again when three fires broke out in the span of three hours, damaging two houses and a storeroom.
In the first incident, a wooden house, occupied by several foreign workers, was razed in Perak Road.
It is believed that the fire started in the kitchen at about 9.40am yesterday.
Firefighters managed to bring the blaze under control before it spread.
Shortly after, a second fire broke out at about 10am at a terrace house in Jalan Pisang Emas, Kampung Melayu.
House owner Khoo Lai Chin, 44, said she had gone out earlier to run some errands and was shocked to see that firefighters and onlookers had gathered outside her house when she returned.
“My house had caught fire. Fortunately, quick action by the firemen prevented the fire from spreading. Only part of the living room and my sofa were destroyed,” she said.
Several hours later, firemen were called after a third fire broke out at about 12.30pm at a storeroom of a Taman Bendera flat in Relau.
Thick smoke was seen billowing out of the room and some items were destroyed by the flames.
No one was injured in the three incidents and the cause of the fires have yet to be determined.