Published: Monday July 16, 2012 MYT 2:00:00 PM
Updated: Monday July 16, 2012 MYT 2:25:07 PM
S'gor seeks to step in to manage Syabas operations
By TEH ENG HOCK
SHAH ALAM: The Selangor state government is attempting to step into the operations of water concessionaire Syabas, after the latter announced plans to ration water in the state.
Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim said the state government doubted that there was a water crisis in Selangor as the state water regulator and Syabas board of directors were not informed of the proposal.
He said the Clause 32 of the concession agreement allowed for the state government to step in to manage Syabas' operations, although it needed the approval of the Federal Government.
"We will write to the Federal Government and National Water Industry Commission (SPAN) and wait for their response. Their KPI, like ours, is to reply within 14 days," he told a press conference here Monday.
Asked on the next course of action should the Federal Government reject the state government's request, Khalid said other option, including bringing the matter to court, would be consider.
Khalid stressed that the current scenario should not be compared with the 1998 crisis as the seven dams in Selangor were currently at full capacity.
Last week, water concessionaire Syabas said it would seek permission to start rationing immediately in Kuala Lumpur, Hulu Langat and Klang because of the worsening water supply shortage.
Mohd Zin: Selangor MB must take responsibility for water crisis
Explore all avenues before rationing water, urge residents
Be pragmatic over water issue, DPM tells Selangor
Syabas wants to start water rationing