Published: Monday July 16, 2012 MYT 5:10:00 PM
School boy rescues parents from blaze
PEKAN: Throwing caution to the wind, a schoolboy thought of nothing but to rescue his screaming mother and step-father when he saw them engulfed in flames during a fire at the master bedroom of their house in Pekan Monday.
Mohd Amri Abu Bakar, 16, was undeterred that he, too, might share a similar fate if he rushed into the room where his parents were trapped by the raging fire and thick, black smoke.
The form four pupil of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Pekan first took his two sisters, Nurazalina, 11, and Noraini, five, out of the house before returning to rescue his parents at the house in Kampung Cenderawasih.
In the incident about 2.30am, Mohd Amri also took on the role of a one-man bucket brigade', pouring buckets of water in succession on his parents who were earlier, asleep in the bedroom.
He then pulled them out of the room to safety before help arrived in the form of their neighbours who jointly put out the blaze at the room.
Neighbours sent Mohd Amri's mother, Saidah Talib, 35, and self-employed step-father Abdul Karim Mohamad, 39, to the Pekan Hospital.
When their condition worsened, the couple, who sustained burns in the head and body, were sent to the Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital.
Meanwhile, according to village headman Mohamad bin Karim, the fire struck at the bed in the master bedroom before the couple were engulfed in flames.
Pahang Fire and Rescue Department public liaison officer Anuar Hassan said the department was not alerted to the blaze when it first began.
Nevertheless, he said, a team of firemen were sent to the scene of the fire, much later. - Bernama Related Stories:
Three Malaysian students escape fire at Iowa apartment
Nine hurt, 50 evacuated in Singapore hotel fire