Tuesday July 17, 2012
Fong: Seda did it right
KUALA LUMPUR: The Sustainable Energy Development Authority (Seda) said its choice of solar power suppliers was made through a process that is totally transparent.
Seda chairman Tan Sri Dr Fong Chan Onn said the authority had organised regular seminars for all “necessary participants” before it closed the tender.
“The application process was done via transparent open bidding systems online, with no manual intervention,” he said in response to allegations by DAP publicity secretary Tony Pua regarding the matter.
Dr Fong explained that allocations were given on a “first come first served” basis to companies once the software ensured all criteria had been fulfilled. Seda approved the final applicants.
“I'm happy to brief anybody, including Pua, on how it works,” he said yesterday. Thirty-two companies had reportedly won the contracts amounting to 32.4% of the nation's energy quota fixed for between 1MW (megawatt) and 5MW.
Pua had alleged 12 companies owned by the daughter of newly-appointed Petronas chairman Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan had been given “a large chunk” of the solar power contracts.
Dr Fong, who had earlier said he was considering legal action against Pua, said he had not reneged on his promise of legal action if Pua insisted on attacking Seda.
“I've spoken with my lawyers, who are studying Pua's statements in order to take the necessary legal action,” he said.
Meanwhile, Pua wants Seda to explain how the contracts had allegedly been awarded to the 12 companies owned by Suzi Suliana Mohd Sidek, her husband Todd Morath and two other business partners.
Pua, who is Petaling Jaya Utara MP, claimed 45.9 megawatts (or 32.4% of the allocation to supply solar power) were given to 12 shell companies under Suzi Suliana.