Friday July 6, 2012
Man held in connection with parcel bomb case released
SUNGai PETANI: Police have released the 32-year-old man who was arrested in connection with the parcel bomb case here in which a housewife was killed.
Kuala Muda OCPD Assistant Comm Hashim Ali said the man was the only suspect detained by the police in connection with the case so far.
ACP Hashim said the man was released yesterday evening after his remand expired.
“We will continue with our investigations to find more leads and hope to solve the case as soon as possible,” he said yesterday.
Housewife Tan Chin Fang, 49, fell victim to a parcel bomb blast when she picked up a pencil box-sized parcel inside her house compound in Taman Angsana Sari here when she came home from the market at about 8.20am on June 22.
She succumbed to her injuries at the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital the next day.
Her husband Ng Cheng Siang, 49, a noodle factory owner said he had received a call earlier from a man who said that something “interesting” would be sent to his house.
Police had detained the suspect who was also involved in similar business as Ng on June 22 to facilitate investigation.