Wednesday September 12, 2012
Probe on boys in lock-up
MALACCA: Police have been asked to investigate the case of four 13-year-old students who were allegedly held in an adult lock-up and abused by police officers in Batu Berendam on Sept 7.
The Chief Minister's special secretary Datuk M.S. Mahadevan said Malacca police chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Chuah Ghee Lye had been asked to take action against the personnel if it was found they had not adhered to Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) when handling juveniles.
A parent of one of the schoolboys has lodged a police report over the matter and contacted the Chief Minister's office.
“The parent alleged police also threatened to place the boys in an adult lock-up where they would be sodomised,” he said here, yesterday.
The school contacted Batu Berendam police to deal with the delinquent students.
However, he said based on information from the parent concerned, the police only picked up the boys after the issue had been amicably settled between the parents and the school.
Mahadevan said the Chief Minister's office is also aware that some quarters have alleged that SAC Chuah had not addressed complaints against police officers especially in the Jasin district.
“These people should not misinterpret (SAC) Datuk Chuah's approach as being soft on his officers as Malacca has success- fully recorded the lowest crime index in the country,'' said Mahadevan.
He said SAC Datuk Chuah attended to complaints made by the public personally.
“Datuk Chuah has gone all out to foster a close relationship with the people.
“Just because of one or two isolated cases, we should not accuse him of being soft,” he added.