Wednesday September 12, 2012
Baker loses right arm to flour-grinder
KUCHING: Instead of grinding flour, a businesswoman lost the whole of her right arm in an incident that occurred early morning yesterday at a bakery.
The victim, 49, from Simunjan, had been operating the bakery business for more than 10 years. This was the first time such a mishap had happened.
It is believed that the woman had placed her right hand too close to the flour-grinder while operating it, resulting in her whole arm getting caught in the machine.
Alerted by her cries of pain, one of the bakery workers rushed over and immediately switched off the machine.
By then, however, it was too late. The victim’s right arm was gone.
She was immediately sent to Simunjan Hospital for treatment but was referred to Sarawak General Hospital around 11am yesterday.
Her condition was reported as stable.
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, a jellyfish-processing factory near Bintawa here was badly damaged by an early morning fire, with the owner reporting an estimated loss of around RM2mil.
Kuching police chief ACP Roslan Bek yesterday confirmed receiving report of the case.
According to him, they also received reports of strangers burning woods near the factory which could have let to the fire.
He, however, said the claims had yet to be ascertained, adding: “We’re still investigating the case.”
The fire was spotted around 3am by a security guard, known only as Anis, 72, who had first heard sparkling sound coming from the office, which was located next to the workers’ hostel where he was posted.
Upon seeing the fire, he quickly brought his motorcycle out from the hostel and contacted the Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba).
Upon receiving a distress call at 3.23am, the department despatched three fire engines from Tabuan Jaya, Padungan and Batu Lintang stations to the scene.
Fifteen fire fighters only managed to put out the fire at 5.30am.
By then, the plant’s office, store and cold storage area had been burned down. The fire also destroyed a lorry, a forklift, motorcycle and some other items. Only the workers’ hostel remained untouched by the flames.
Another security guard, Bidin, 23, also from Bau, was shocked to see the remains of what used to be his workplace.
“I arrived here around 7am and I was shocked. There were three containers of jellyfish in the factory,” he lamented.