Thursday September 13, 2012
Talks over Singapore labour ban
By MUGUNTAN VANAR
KOTA KINABALU: Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman will meet with his Singapore counterpart K. Shanmugam to discuss the ban on Sabahan and Sarawakian natives below 35 years from working in the republic.
Anifah said he was planning a one-day working visit to seek the reasons for the ban on workers from the two states.
Anifah said he was surprised by the ban but had yet to receive any report on it.
“I have to find the reason for the sudden implementation of the policy.
“If it is because of one or two bad apples, then we can discuss it and find a solution,” he added.
He said he would also discuss the move with the Human Resources Ministry.
Singapore earlier this month implemented a new policy, barring male natives from Sabah and Sarawak below 35 years from working in the republic.
Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam had instructed the ministry's labour attache to discuss the decision with the Singapore authorities.
Dr Subramaniam, who described the new policy as tricky as it only involved Sabahans and Sarawakians, said that the policy might have come about after agents recruited them to work in Singapore with false promises.
Many Sabah leaders have called on Singapore to withdraw the policy which some described as unfair and discriminatory.
Meanwhile, Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun urged Singapore not to put in place a blanket policy to bar certain Malaysians from working in the republic.
“They have to address the real problem rather then implement such policies to stop certain group of people from working.
“It is better to address and evaluate the root of the problem and weed out the troublemakers,” he told reporters yesterday.