Published: Sunday September 2, 2012 MYT 12:47:00 PM
Updated: Sunday September 2, 2012 MYT 1:00:11 PM
Jamil Khir: Malaysia’s haj quota remains at 28,000 pilgrims
PUTRAJAYA: The Government of Saudi Arabia is maintaining its quota of 28,000 pilgrims for Malaysia for this year's Haj pilgrimage, said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom.
However, he said Malaysia would continue to seek to increase the figure as many Malaysian Muslims miss the chance to perform the pilgrimage because of the limited quota imposed each year,
To date, 936,000 Malaysians including 4,000 who are more than 75 years old had registered to perform the Haj, he told reporters after opening a seminar on the pilgrimage here Saturday.
In the wake of what happened, Jamil Khir advises Malaysian pilgrims heading to the Holy Land not to do anything that would tarnish the image of the country.
In Shah Alam, Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah called on them to focus on religion and uphold the good name of Selangor and Malaysia.
“I do not approve of the people of Selangor who are going to perform their haj or umrah at the holy land of Mecca and Medina to hold protests or demonstrations as it tarnishes the image of Malaysians as well as the good relationship between the Malaysian and Saudi Arabian governments,” he said in his speech when launching the “Kursus Haji Perdana” at the state mosque here Sunday.
The quota for this year had been a cause for worry for Malaysians following the action of some Malaysians who staged demonstrations in Mecca and Medina on April 26.
The Saudi government has expressed unhappiness with the development through a diplomatic note to Malaysia's Foreign Ministry. - Bernama