Published: Monday September 24, 2012 MYT 3:07:00 PM
Updated: Monday September 24, 2012 MYT 3:13:25 PM
Minister: Some of the 40,000 ‘jobless’ graduates are actually mulling further studies
KUALA LUMPUR: Some of the 40,000 graduates of public and private higher learning institutions who completed their studies last year, have not started working because they are considering furthering their studies.
Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Khaled Nordin said most of them completed their studies before getting their scrolls at the convocation at the end of last year.
"For example, for the final-year examination in May or June last year, the results were out three months later while the convocation was held at the end of the year.
"Hence, their number is relevant as they have only recently completed their studies," he told a press conference after closing the National-Level Lifelong Learning Carnival (My3L) and launching the Lifelong Learning Directory (PSH)2012/13 at the Putra World Trade Centre, here, on Monday.
He was commenting on a finding by the Graduates Employability Study by his ministry, done every year, that 40,000 graduates from 20 public higher learning institutions and 50 private ones nationwide were still unemployed.
On Saturday, Ministry deputy secretary-general (management) Datuk Omar Abd Rahman had said that among the graduates still unemployed, 21% was from public institutions of higher learning, 27% from private institutions, 28% from polytechnics and 35% from community colleges.
Omar had said that a small group of graduates had started working part-time as there were no suitable permanent posts for their qualifications. - Bernama
Study reveals 40,000 graduates are unemployed