Published: Thursday September 27, 2012 MYT 8:43:00 PM
Updated: Thursday September 27, 2012 MYT 8:56:27 PM
Abu Seman: Op Selamat reduced accidents, fatalities and crime.
KUALA LUMPUR: Op Selamat Aidilfitri 2012 was a success as it reduced accidents by 1,669 cases from last year. In 2011, there were 19,606 cases recorded, compared with 17,937 this year.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Wira Abu Seman Yusop said Thursday the death toll was also reduced by 46 deaths as 243 fatal accidents were recorded this year compared with 289 last year.
The success was due to the collaboration between police, Civil Defence Department and other Home Ministry agencies, he told Parliament Thursday.
He said statistics over a five-year period had indicated that human error was the main cause of accidents, mostly involving motorcycles, pillion riders, drivers and passengers.
He said Op Selamat also ensured the safety of properties, particularly in housing areas during the Aidilfitri celebration which saw a drop to 1,029 cases recorded, compared with 1,246 in 2011.
Abu Seman said the drop was attributed to frequent patrols in housing estates and police initiatives that urged the public to inform authorities of their vacant homes during Aidilfitri celebration, via text messages, balik-kampung (leaving home) forms and the Rakan Cop hotline.
Abu Seman was replying to a question from Fong Kui Lun (DAP-Bukit Bintang), who wanted to know the success of Op Selamat in minimising accidents nationwide from Aug 12 to 26. - Bernama