Thursday September 6, 2012
Residents worried after boy dies from bamboo pole injury
By NELSON BENJAMIN
JOHOR BARU: Residents at staying at Flat Sri Tanjung fear for their children's safety after a boy was killed by a falling bamboo pole.
They said it was common to see durian skin, rocks, metal objects and even a chair thrown out of the flat.
One of the residents known as Kak Yah, 32, said she was watching TV when the screen went blank and she heard a loud crash.
“When I looked down, I was shocked to find that a wooden chair had hit my Astro dish,” she said, adding that she has forbidden her five children from playing downstairs as she was worried about falling objects.
Flat Sri Tanjung is located in Kempas and has three blocks with each consisting of more than 300 homes.
On Sunday, a father watched in horror as his four-year-old son was struck by a bamboo pole used to hang clothes which fell from one of the upper floors.
The victim, Muhammad Alias Che Samad (pic), was admitted to the intensive care unit at Hospital Sultanah Aminah and succumbed to head injuries at about 11am on Tuesday.
The victim's father Che Samad Che Omar, 51, said he was walking with his son towards the motorcycle park on the ground floor of the flat when the incident occurred at 10.30pm.
“The stick pierced my son's head,” he said, adding that he immediately took him to the hospital.
Muhammad Alias was his only son and he has three other daughters aged 10, eight and six years.
Che Samad hoped that the police would investigate as he claimed that someone deliberately threw the bamboo pole at them.
Muhammad Alias' remains were buried at the Muslim cemetery in Tampoi here yesterday.