Friday September 7, 2012
‘Coconut tree war’ rages on despite 93 police reports
By NELSON BENJAMIN
JOHOR BARU: There is no end to the “coconut tree war” involving three neighbours even after 93 police reports.
In the latest incident, former factory supervisor S. Rajanthran alleged that his neighbour tried to run him down outside his home at about 8.50pm on Friday.
“I sustained injuries to my right knee and ankle when my neighbour rammed his car into my motorcycle in Bandar Baru Permas Jaya,” he said.
Rajanthran added that another neighbour's wife, who witnessed the incident, also lodged a report on the same day claiming that the neighbour in question had threatened her husband.
The feud between Rajanthran and his neighbour started after he asked the Johor Baru City Council to cut down three leaning coconut trees in front of his house three years ago. When the council felled the trees, the neighbours started warring.
During the height of their problems, the neighbour and his son were even fined a total of RM12,000 by a magistrate's court for assaulting Rajanthran with a hockey stick at the end of last year.
Rajanthran alleged that since the court case, his neighbour has been behaving more aggressively and always tries to pick a fight with him.
“I lodged a police report in Permas Jaya but until now I have not been interviewed,” he said, adding that he had been to the Johor Baru South district police headquarters several times to try to meet with the investigating officer but to no avail.
Johor Baru South acting OCPD Supt Abd Samad Salleh confirmed the latest report and said they were investigating the case.
He declined to elaborate.