Tuesday January 1, 2013
Work to demolish damaged house begins
KUALA LUMPUR: Demolition work has begun at house No 39 on the edge of the collapsed retaining wall in Bukit Setiawangsa.
Sentul Deputy OCPD Supt Othman Abu Bakar said the works, which began at 10am yesterday, were being over seen by the developer I&P Group Sdn Bhd.
“A crane has been brought into the site and the demolition will be done slowly, starting from the roof down,” he said, adding that tarpaulin canvas covers would be placed on the critical cracks once the demolition work is completed.
He added that the other seven bungalows nearby are still classified as “not safe” and at risk of demolition if investigations by the Public Works Department deems it necessary.
“Soil movement is still detected and any demolition work will take several days to accomplish to minimise the risk of further collapse.”
On the security measures for the other 58 houses and 13 shoplots, Supt Othman said officers from the police, Rela and Civil Defence Department personnel were carrying out patrols to prevent looting and theft.
He added that 283 people had been evacuated as of yesterday.
Meanwhile, a mobile post office has been set up at the community centre.
A Pos Malaysia Berhad official said the affected residents, who could not receive their mail, can collect them at the temporary centre from 10.30am to 4pm on weekdays from tomorrow.