Published: Tuesday January 1, 2013 MYT 12:38:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday January 1, 2013 MYT 8:14:27 PM
Floods close 31 Terengganu schools (Update)
KUALA TERENGGANU: Thirty-one schools in Terengganu are closed due to the second wave of floods which hit the state Monday, affecting 12,000 school children on the first school day of 2013.
Twenty-three of them are primary schools and the remaining eight are secondary schools, said State Education, Higher Education, Science, Technology and Human Resource Committee chairman Datuk Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman.
Thirteen of the schools were located in the Hulu Terengganu district, 12 in the Besut district and three each in the Kemaman and Setiu districts, he said.
Some of the schools are flooded, some are cut off by floods, some are being used as relief centres and some are being cleaned.
Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Lubuk Periok, SK Tengku Ampuan Intan, Sekolah Menengah Agama (SMA) Mahmudiah and Sekolah Menengah Imtiaz Kuala Berang, all in Hulu Terengganu, and SK Pasir Akar, SK Tok Raja, SK Bukit Jerok, SK Alor Keladi, SK Kampung Nangka, SK Tok Dor and SK Keruak, all in Besut, remained flooded, said Ahmad Razif. He spoke to reporters after calling on new Standard One pupils at SK Tok Jembal here which opened Tuesday for the new school year.
Also present was Terengganu deputy director of education Hashim Mohd Zin.
Ahmad Razif said SK Anak Ikan in Setiu and SK Seri Payong and SK Tenang in Besut were being used as flood relief centres.
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Bukit Mentok in Kemaman was being cleaned after having been used as a flood relief centre, he said.
He named the schools cut off by floodwaters as SK Kuar, SK Felda Tersat, SK Bukit Taduk, SK Matang, SK Tengkawang, SMK Menerong, SMK Matang and SMK Jenerih, all in Hulu Terengganu; SK Padang Kubu and SK RKT Seberang Tayor in Kemaman; SK Pak Ba and SK Sungai Las in Setiu; and SMK Bukit Payong and SMK Putera in Besut.
"As of now, we are not certain when these schools will reopen.
“We hope the second wave of floods will recede soon. The schools will have to hold replacement classes on a Saturday," he said.
Ahmad Razif said parents could contact the respective schools or the district education offices to find out when the schools would reopen.
Meanwhile, Hashim said 19,878 pupils had registered to attend Standard One from Tuesday at 350 schools in the state.
In ALOR SETAR, Kedah director of education Mansor Lat said 28,900 pupils started school in Standard One at 542 primary schools in the state, down by 2,480 pupils compared to last year.
He also said that 35,354 students entered Form One in 182 secondary schools, up by 4,105 students compared to last year.
"Some 12,290 pupils registered for pre-school and the state education department added 23 classes to the 550 existing ones," he told reporters during a visit to Sekolah Kebangsaan Sultanah Asma.
Mansor said the new Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sungai Pasir Kechil in Sungai Petani opened Tuesday and admitted some of the students from a nearby overcrowded school.
He also said that the new primary schools, Sekolah Kebangsaan Taman Mutiara in Kulim and SK Bukit Kiara in Sungai Petani, would open on Jan 13. - Bernama