Published: Friday January 11, 2013 MYT 5:55:00 PM
Updated: Friday January 11, 2013 MYT 8:26:11 PM
Police to take action against two individuals who offered help to escaped detainees
By WINNIE YEOH
BUKIT MERTAJAM: Police will take action on two individuals believed to have offered help to some of the escaped detainees.
Penang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Abdul Rahim Hanafi said police have so far identified two individuals who are related to some of the suspects.
“Investigations revealed that the two had offered assistance, in food or financial help, as early as the second day of the escape” he said after visiting a police roadblock near the Kubang Semang toll on the Butterworth-Kulim Expressway.
He said police have set up seven roadblocks and DCP Abdul Rahim also warned the public against harbouring any of the five detainees still at large as they could be charged under Section 216 of the Penal Code.
“While police are going all out to recapture the suspects, our job will be made difficult if the public offer them any form of help.
“Whether the public offered help willingly or not, it is still a crime.
“We urge the public to cooperate with the police,” he said.
DCP Abdul Rahim said police believed the other five escaped suspects have mobile phones and were in contact with their families.
“We have received 38 tip-offs so far and we are filtering our information,” he said.
Police have beefed up the search operation codenamed “Ops Kesan Gelugor” with over 270 personnel and had roped in an additional of 12 police patrol cars from the other districts in the state.