Published: Monday January 14, 2013 MYT 1:01:00 PM
Updated: Monday January 14, 2013 MYT 4:50:42 PM
Kesas toll charges reduced from midnight Monday (Updated)
PETALING JAYA: Toll charges on the Kesas Highway will be reduced from midnight Monday, Works Minister Shaziman Abu Mansor said.
"From midnight, toll charges on the Kesas Highway will be reduced. Motorists need pay only RM2. There will be a reduction for all classes of vehicles," the minister tweeted Monday.
The current toll charges on the highway ranges from RM1.70 for taxis to RM4.40 for trailer lorries, with motorists paying RM2.20.
Meanwhile, Bernama reported that the toll charges would be reduced by between 10 sen and 40 sen for the different categories of vehicles.
For Class One vehicles (with two axles and three or four wheels, excluding taxis), the new charge will be RM2, down by 20 sen from RM2.20.
For Class Two vehicles (with two axles and six wheels, excluding buses), the new charge will be RM3, down by 30 sen from RM3.30.
For Class Three vehicles (with three or more axles), the new charge will be RM4, down by 40 sen from RM4.40.
For Class Four vehicles (taxis), the new charge will be RM1, down by 10 sen from RM1.10 and for Class Five vehicles (buses), the new charge will be RM1.50, down by 20 sen from RM1.70.
Toll is charged at three points along the 34.5km Kesas Highway, which stretches from the Sri Petaling interchange in Kuala Lumpur to the Pandamaran interchange in Klang.
These are at the Awan Besar East (Kuala Lumpur-bound) and Awan Besar West (Subang Jaya/Klang-bound), Sunway and Kemuning toll plazas.
Shaziman said 298,000 daily users of the highway stood to benefit from the reduced toll charges.
"The toll charges will not be raised until 2016," he told reporters after a visit to see construction of an elevated U-turn at KM37.5 of the highway.
Shaziman said the reduction in the toll charges was part of the restructuring of the toll rates on the highway managed by Kesas Sdn Bhd.
He said the reduction in the toll charges would have a positive impact on people living in the Shah Alam, Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, Klang and surrounding areas.
He said the toll charges on the Kesas Highway were to have been raised to RM3 (for Class One vehicles) but Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak decided against it because it would place a financial burden on the people.
"The waiving of the proposed increase (to RM3) resulted in the Government having to fork out RM86mil to the highway concessionaire, at 80 sen per vehicle, in 2012," he said.
Shaziman said that since Najib took over as the Prime Minister, the toll charges on several highways had been restructured, for example the North-South Expressway and the Cheras-Kajang Expressway, also known as the Grand Saga Expressway, while toll was removed altogether on the Metramac East-West Link Highway.
"The Government will continue to negotiate and convince highway concessionaires to restructure their toll charges, but only after a survey has been done to determine the increase in traffic on any highway," he said.