Published: Wednesday January 16, 2013 MYT 2:35:00 PM
Updated: Wednesday January 16, 2013 MYT 2:39:17 PM
Construction industry board lodges police report over alleged negligence in Shah Alam bungalow collapse
SHAH ALAM: The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Wednesday lodged a police report, claiming elements of negligence in renovation works at a bungalow in Section 7 here, in which a worker was killed when a concrete roof collapsed on him in October last year.
The report was made by CIDB investigation officer Mohammad Faizal Abdul Hamid at the Shah Alam district police headquarters, here, at about 10am.
CIDB enforcement director Abdul Razak Husin said the elements of negligence needed to be investigated by the police as the matter was outside the board's jurisdiction.
"The police report was made as CIDB is concerned about safety at construction sites and it does want parties involved and the public to take lightly the legal aspects and safety in any construction project," he said when met at the district police headquarters.
He said the investigation carried out by CIDB found there might be two elements of negligence in the incident, namely the design aspect and the renovation work itself.
On Dec 12, the contractor undertaking the bungalow renovation, Sara Design Studio, was fined RM10,000 by the Sessions Court here, after the company's owner, Ng Bee Choo, 42, pleaded guilty to carrying out the renovation works without a licence.
In the incident, an Indonesian construction worker, Totok Mochamd Anthony, was killed while five others were injured, including one who lost his right leg, when part of the concrete roof of the bungalow collapsed.
Abdul Razak also said CIDB had taken disciplinary action against 60 contractors last year for failing to take care of their workers' welfare, like not paying their salary.
Shah Alam police chief ACP Zahedi Ayob, who confirmed receiving the police report, has asked CIDB to provide to police the evidence to indicate negligence in the incident. - Bernama