Published: Saturday January 19, 2013 MYT 6:29:00 PM
Families affected by floods in Terengganu to get RM1,000 next month
KUALA TERENGGANU: Some 9,000 famlies affected by the floods that hit Terengganu last month will receive aid of RM1,000 each in the middle of next month, said Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Said.
He said the state government and federal government were contributing RM500 each for the purpose and involved total expenditure of RM4.5mil.
This cash aid was being given for the first by the state government to flood victims, he said when announcing the aid after chairing the state executive council meeting at Wisma Darul Iman here last Wednesday.
He said the government hoped the aid would help defray the cost of rebuilding their lives.
The floods that hit the state was the worst since 1971. The disaster claimed six lives with the worst hit districts being Kemaman, Dungun, Besut and Hulu Terengganu.