Published: Wednesday January 2, 2013 MYT 5:57:00 PM
Demolition of Bukit Setiawangsa bungalow 80% completed
KUALA LUMPUR: About 80 per cent of demolition work has been carried out on a badly damaged bungalow in the Puncak Setiawangsa landslide, here, last Friday.
Public Works Institute of Malaysia (Ikram) chief operating officer, Mohd Taufik Haron said there were only 20 percent left in the demolition of the bungalow after clearing works had been carried out in the last three days.
"We have not set any date or deadline for the complete demolition of the bungalow. It depends on several factors such as weather and earth movement for the safety of workers," he told reporters at the landslide site on Wednesday.
Mohd Taufik said the bungalow owned by Rompin MP Datuk Seri Jamaludin Jarjis had to be demolished as there were signs of earth movement and for works on a buffer zone to strengthen the hill slope.
"What can I say, Datuk Jamaludin's bungalow will be 80 percent demolished," he said.
In the incident at about 10pm, the concrete embankment built on the hill slope 50 to 60 metres high collapsed, affecting several residences including the ones owned by public figures. - Bernama