Saturday January 26, 2013
Ministry bans ‘Vishwaroopam’ to the dismay of many
By A. LETCHUMANAN
PETALING JAYA: The Kamal Hassan movie Vishwaroopam has been withdrawn from cinemas following a directive from the Home Ministry.
The film's distributor Lotus Fivestar AV said it was told to stop screening the movie at noon yesterday.
The film, which opened on Thursday, has run to packed houses.
“We will refund those who purchased tickets through advance bookings, or allow them to use it for other films,” the company's director Datuk R. Ramalingam said.
The film had already been approved by the Censorship Board.
The release of the movie, which focuses on international terrorism, has also been delayed in Tamil Nadu following complaints from Muslims.
P. Sinayah, who watched the movie on Thursday, said it was a fictional work.
“People should be given the opportunity to watch it and make up their own minds,” he said.
Those who tried to buy tickets were disappointed with the ministry's decision to withdraw the movie.
“There has been so much publicity about the movie and I really wanted to see it,” said A. Chandran.
“I hope that the Government will reconsider.”
In a statement issued in Chennai, Kamal Hassan said he would take legal action after the film was banned in Tamil Nadu.
“I am appalled at how my film is construed to be against my Muslim brothers,” he said.
“My statements in favour of that community have marked me as a sympathiser.”