Monday January 28, 2013
Cops taking another look at evidence in William Yau’s case
Reports by FARIK ZOLKEPLI, SHAUN HO and AUSTIN CAMOENS
PETALING JAYA: Police are re-examining all the evidence and clues in the case of William Yau Zhen Zhong, including conflicting statements given by family members and witnesses.
Investigators are also retracing the steps of the missing boy whose body was found floating near a jetty in Kampung Sungai Sireh, Port Klang, and re-recording the statements of his parents, his seven-year-old brother and other witnesses.
Inconsistent statements given by key individuals was among the reasons for the decision to meticulously review the information gathered so far.
It is learnt that among the discordant matters include the statement that William's father was only aware that he was missing after 15 minutes of driving and the question of why his brother did not inform his parents earlier that William was missing.
Six-year-old William, the second child of Goh Ying Ying, 28, and Yau Kok Kang, 32, went missing in Jalan Putra Mahkota, Putra Heights at about 8.30pm on Jan 16.
It was reported that he had left the family car to look for his parents who stopped at an electrical shop.
A fisherman in Kampung Sungai Sireh discovered his body snagged on his boat at about 6.30pm on Jan 24.
Subang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Yahaya Ramli confirmed that all the possible angles in the case were being scrutinised.
“The lack of conclusive evidence from the post-mortem has compelled us to look for other clues especially at the place where he disappeared and where the body was found.
“All our resources are focused on probing every theory, including that he could have fallen into a storm drain or was killed and dumped into the river,” he said yesterday.
He added that police would record further statements from William's older brother as well as other family members.
On allegations posted in the social media and speculation by local dailies that William might have been abused earlier, ACP Yahaya said police had not found any such reports.
He said the results of the DNA test to conclusively identify the body as William's were expected to be ready by 10am today.
“If everything goes as planned, the body can be released as soon as the DNA results are obtained,” he added.
Federal CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said the initial classification of William's case as “sudden death” should not necessarily mean that police would not investigate other possibilities, including murder.
“We will still go through proper investigations to find out whether the boy was killed or died because of an accident.
“We are back-tracking all our findings thoroughly in the course of the probe,” he said.
Comm Mohd Bakri also appealed to the public to come forward if they had any information related to the case.