Published: Wednesday January 30, 2013 MYT 4:54:00 PM
Updated: Wednesday January 30, 2013 MYT 4:55:56 PM
Selangor wants to take over water concessionaires in state
SHAH ALAM: The Selangor state government has written to the Energy, Green Technology and Water Ministry seeking to take over all water concessionaires, including Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas), in 14 days.
“We hold on to the statement made in Sabak Bernam recently (last Saturday) by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, as the chairman of the cabinet committee on water, in which he states that the federal government had no objections to the state government taking over water services,” he added.
When pointed out that Muhyiddin's statement was on the condition that all four water concessionaires agreed to the state's offer, Khalid said if there was disagreement with the offer price, the matter could be referred to international arbitration.
“I will make an offer and if there is a disparity in price, the federal government must agree to allow the matter to be brought to international arbitration,” he told reporters.
The four concessionaires involved are Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor (Splash), Konsortium Abbas, Syabas and Puncak Niaga.
In 2009, the state government first made a bid of RM5.7bil but it was rejected by the concessionaires. A subsequent offer of RM9.2bil was made last year but it was rejected by Puncak Niaga and Syabas.