Published: Monday January 7, 2013 MYT 10:54:00 PM
Updated: Monday January 7, 2013 MYT 10:59:02 PM
KL mayor: Bukit Setiawangsa homeowners to request compensation from developer
He said the Government had made a stand that the developer should be held responsible where compensation is concerned.
“I&P has agreed to complete the present works by the end of this month, barring any unforeseen circumstances.
“Once works are completed, homeowners and occupants of shophouses will be permitted to go back to their places,” Ahmad Phesal told a press conference on Monday, adding that the instrumentation installed to monitor soil movement at the site indicates that it is stable.
Ahmad Phesal had earlier chaired a closed-door meeting with Ikram, I&P Sdn Bhd and their consultants, the police, National Security Council, Public Works Department and various departments from Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).
“As a permanent solution, I&P has appointed two consultants EEC Consultant and Dr Asbi & Associates - to come up with a design in accordance to the 2010 Hillslope Development Guidelines and taking into consideration of the soil investigation results.
“The proposed design will then be evaluated by a special technical committee comprising of PWD (slope engineering division), Ikram and Mineral and Geo-science Department, before it is approved by DBKL,” Ahmad Phesal said.
On Dec 28, residents of Bukit Setiawangsa were shocked when land erosion caused most parts of a 43m concrete embankment in the area to collapse.
The incident caused a retaining wall to partially collapse, destroying one of the bungalows.
No compensation for damage after collapse angers Setiawangsa residents
Compile facts and losses, shoplot owners told
Bukit Setiawangsa folk want to stay put due to abundance of facilities
13 shoplot owners in Bukit Setiawangsa to submit claims to Cabinet soon
Checkpoints set up at landslide-hit Bukit Setiawangsa to prevent looting