Monday February 18, 2013
Xenophon a threat to community, says Hisham
By PATRICK LEE, YVONNE LIM, Mohd Farhaan Shah and ELWEEN LOKE
KLUANG: The issue of Australian senator Nick Xenophon being denied entry into the county is bound to be politicised especially in the run up to the general election, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein
He said that the public should not just listen to one side of the story but understand what actually took place before making assumptions.
“Xenophon was blacklisted as a prohibited immigrant because we believe that he could cause disorder and could be a danger to the community.
“This is the reason why the Immigration Department stopped him,” he told reporters at the Paloh MCA division Chinese New Year open house at SJK(C) Paloh here yesterday.
Hishammuddin said that the Australian lawmaker had made several statements in the past which tarnished the country's image.
“He is widely known as an active campaigner against Malaysian palm oil besides his presence as a foreign observer for the Opposition during the Bersih 3.0 gathering,” he said.
Immigration director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad said Xenophon had been listed as a prohibited immigrant someone whose presence in the country posed danger to the community and could cause disorder because of his statements which humiliated Malaysia.
The senator returned to Australia at 10pm on Saturday.
Former prime minster Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said Canberra can criticise all it wanted, but the Government did not have to pay heed to it.
“We don't have to entertain them,” he said at a Chinese New Year event yesterday.
Kedah Gerakan Youth Chief Tan Keng Liang said that Xenophon, should have coordinated with his own Government if he wanted to get Malaysia's attention.