Wednesday February 20, 2013
Five children hurt in kindergarten fire
IPOH: Five children were slightly injured in a fire caused by a gas leak at a kindergarten in Bagan Serai.
Initial investigations showed that the fire was caused by a loose gas plug on a cooking gas cylinder, said Bagan Serai Fire and Rescue Department chief Zainuddin Muhammad Nordin.
“When a teacher tried to turn on the stove to heat up a pot of water, the leaked gas ignited and shot ceiling-high flames from the stove for a split second.
“The sparks caused minor burns to the faces and arms of the five children who were having a meal in the kitchen. They were lucky that the flames did not ignite other flammable material, which would have resulted in a much worse disaster,” he said.
He added that the department received a call about the incident at 11.13am yesterday.