Published: Saturday February 23, 2013 MYT 9:31:00 AM
Updated: Saturday February 23, 2013 MYT 10:27:45 AM
Lahad Datu stand-off: Philippines requests Malaysia to extend deadline
By MUGUNTAN VANAR
LAHAD DATU: The Philippines government on Friday asked for an extension of the deadline for the Sulu armed group to leave Kampung Tanduo.
Philippines Foreign Minister Albert del Rasario said that he had contacted his Malaysian counterpart Datuk Seri Anifah Aman, requesting that the Friday deadline for the Sulu Sultan followers be extended till Tuesday.
He said the Philippines authorities were trying to persuade the followers of Sultan Jamalul Kiram holding up in Tandau for two-weeks to leave Sabah.
“We expect our request to be endorsed as work is in progress on urging the Kiram family to work on a peaceful withdrawal," he was quoted as telling the media in Manila.
He said that the Malaysian authorities had assured Manila they would not use force on the Sulu group if they left Sabah peacefully.
Malaysian security forces have encircled the Sulu group, comprising more than 100 men and led by the brother of Jamalul, and are waiting for orders to move in to deport them back to the Philippines.
The group, however, has so far refused to budge from the seaside village of Tanduo about 165km from Sabah's east coast town that straddles close to the sea borders of the Philippines.
Malaysia stays cautious as standoff goes on
Musa: Peaceful end likely
We did not invite Sulu gunmen, says Anwar
Lahad Datu Standoff: Philippines naval ships in Tawi-Tawi waters to help stabilise situation
Weariness is creeping in as stand-off drags on
Businessman: I am the Sultan of North Borneo
Musa Aman: Stop the rumours on Lahad Datu stand-off
Hisham: We won't allow stand-off to harm nation's security
IGP: Police in control of Lahad Datu situation
Lahad Datu stand-off: 3 Al-Jazeera journalists detained for 7 hrs
No compromise with gunmen