Monday February 25, 2013
Battle for Selangor: Najib leads BN's charge
By RAHIMY RAHIM and YUEN MEIKENG
PETALING JAYA: The Barisan Nasional's charge to recapture Selangor has received a major boost with Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak personally heading its election machinery in the state.
The decision for Najib, who is Selangor Umno chief, to be the state's Barisan election director was made during a meeting he chaired on Saturday.
Selangor Barisan secretary Datuk Mohamad Idris Abu Bakar said the meeting also discussed strategies and Barisan's preparedness in wresting Selangor from Pakatan Rakyat. He said the meeting decided that a mock election should be conducted to test the readiness of election workers.
“It will involve all parties as our election machinery officers would become the backbone behind our strategy to disseminate our policies and information to the grassroots,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Mohamed Idris said the state Barisan leadership welcomed the decision to have the Prime Minister and Barisan chairman as its election director and state Barisan coordinator Datuk Seri Mohd Zin Mohamed as his deputy.
He said Barisan was optimistic in winning more seats and taking back Selangor.
“Our preparation is at the most optimum level,” he added.
Mohd Zin said he was ready to support Najib in the quest to recapture Selangor.
It was reported that the Election Commission had estimated that Selangor recorded the biggest jump in the number of new voters - rising 29.06% from 1,565,494 in 2008 to 2,020,500 as of the third quarter of last year.
At another event, Najib said Selangor should not be ruled by a different party than the one ruling Federal Government.
He said there were too many problems as it was because the state was ruled by the Opposition while the Federal Government was led by Barisan.
“But if the people give us the full mandate, Selangor will be more advanced and grow together with our country,” he said.