Published: Monday February 25, 2013 MYT 10:28:00 PM
Updated: Monday February 25, 2013 MYT 10:30:37 PM
MB Azizan: Why do people say I am not healthy
ALOR SETAR: Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak insists he will contest in the upcoming general election amid calls for his resignation.
"Why do people want me to quit, say that I'm not healthy. That is not true," he was quoted by Bernama.
Saying he was "still healthy and strong-willed, Azizan said he was ready to defend the Sungai Limau State Assembly seat he won in 2008.
He was commenting on calls for him to resign allegedly from the PAS grassroots.
Earlier, Azizan said the clearing of the Bukit Perangin forest area in seven compartments in Wang Perah, Kubang Pasu was carried out by its owner and does not involve the state government.
He said the permanent forest reserve area, covering 142.76 hectares, had been given to 40 officers in the Kedah Civil Service (KCS) who were issued titles for 3.569 hectares each in 2010.
"They submitted their applications to the previous (Barisan Nasional) government, which gave the approval.
"However, we found the land that was approved was not suitable and replaced it with the areas in the seven compartments at Wang Perah because it is not in the water catchment area.
"The clearing that has been done, which had turned the area bald, is not the responsibility of the state government," he said.
State Forestry Department Director Ku Azmi Ku Aman, who was present, said the clearing was legal.
They were commenting on an allegation by Kedah Federal Action Council chairman Datuk Mohd Johari Baharom on the indiscriminate logging being carried out in Wang Perah since early this year.