Published: Wednesday February 27, 2013 MYT 5:50:00 PM
Penang cops to launch ‘Ops Sayang’ to find more syndicates selling babies
NIBONG TEBAL: The Penang police are in the midst of launching 'Ops Sayang III' to cripple several more syndicates which are actively selling babies and toddlers to ready buyers in the state.
While the syndicates have been identified, state police chief Datuk Abdul Rahim Hanafi said details could not be divulged as they might hamper ongoing investigations.
"As a follow-up to 'Ops Sayang I' and 'Ops Sayang II', we will launch 'Ops Sayang III' to bring the rest of the syndicate members to book," he told reporters after a function at the Tasek Mutiara police station in Simpang Ampat near here Tuesday night.
Meanwhile, eight people, allegedly linked to a baby-for-sale syndicate and detained since Saturday, were freed on court bail on Wednesday, upon expiry of their remand.
Abdul Rahim said they comprised five women and three men, aged between 28 and 50.
Last Sunday, 22 babies and toddlers, believed to be victims of a human trafficking syndicate, were rescued in Selangor, Johor, Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Pahang, Negri Sembilan and Penang.
Under 'Ops Pintas Sayang II', the police uncovered the syndicate and detained 45 people to facilitate investigations.
On Jan 24, the police, under 'Ops Pintas I', had also crippled a syndicate selling babies and toddlers, which had been operating actively in the state, Kedah and Perak, with the arrest of 33 people.
Eight babies and toddlers were rescued.
Remand of eight in baby-for-sale probe extended
Cops closing in on more baby traffickers
Adoptive parents in child trafficking case remanded
Hishammuddin: Police closing in on two more human trafficking syndicates
21 babies and children rescued from Penang-based ring
Experts: Counselling vital for rescued children
Adoptive parents and kids at a loss after rescue, says exco man
21 infant and children rescued from human trafficking syndicate