Tuesday February 5, 2013
Court dismisses Selangor's application to strike out water subsidy claim
SHAH ALAM: The High Court here rejected with costs the application by the Selangor Government and Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim to set aside a suit filed by 711 water consumers.
The suit is over Khalid and the Selangor Government’s failure to provide free water as stated in Pakatan Rakyat’s 2008 general election manifesto.
Judicial Commissioner Hashim Hamzah made the decision after hearing submissions from both sides and also fixed April 15 for case management.
On Sept 11 last year, 711 water consumers named Khalid, the state government and Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas) as defendants.
They are seeking over RM400,000 in compensation.
In their statement of claim, they said that in April 2008, the people of Selangor were promised free 20 cubic metres of water a month.
They said that every eligible consumer was supposed to receive the water subsidy of RM11.40 per month, regardless of whether the consumer used an individual or bulk meter.
They added that the state government started implementing the free water scheme on June 1, 2008.
However, they claimed that they had not been receiving the free water as promised.
The plaintiffs also claimed that Khalid, in a press statement issued on Aug 30 last year, said that those using bulk meters were not eligible for the free water subsidy.
The plaintiffs are demanding a compensation of RM405,270 from the state government and/or Syabas or, alternatively, a compensation for the first 20 cubic metres of water monthly.
They are seeking a declaration that the free water scheme covers all water consumers in the state and not just those using individual meters. — Bernama